SLDA Background Information
Establishing Official Diaspora Engagement Institution has been part of the political program of the incumbent political party, Kulmiye, and the commitment of the current Somaliland President, HE. Ahmed Mohamed Mohamud (Siilaanyo) during his campaign for the country’s leadership and thus became one of his first fulfilments after election in 2010.
The Somaliland Diaspora Agency (SLDA), was established on the basis of the presidential decree No JSM/M/DM/249/0133/08210 dated on 26/8/2010 as autonomous public body aligned to the Foreign Affairs Policy; and is based on the national constitutional article 90th for the coordination and cooperation of Somaliland Diaspora communities worldwide.
SLDA has connections and mutual communication with the existing Diaspora community committees and Diaspora charity organizations in the most of the key host countries – over 50 countries in Europe, North America, Asia, Africa, and Oceania. We closely with the Diaspora committees/focal points, volunteers, the Diaspora-led Charity Organizations, Somaliland Ambassadors/Representatives abroad, different concerned ministries, and other public and private stakeholders, as well as INGOs all for the purpose of achieving goals and national priorities through the Diaspora engagement, and by implementing strategies and interventions that can support the sector development, and in alignment to the National Development Plan II (2017-2021) and Somaliland Vision 2030.
Establish a well-functioning organization that mobilizes, coordinates and integrates Somaliland Diaspora efforts to foster development in Somaliland and Diaspora communities abroad, and bring political stability and economic prosperity to Somaliland through proper engagement of the Diaspora Community
- Support and facilitate the Somaliland Diaspora to contribute to social, economic, technological and political development to Somaliland through awareness, networking, policy dialogue, research and studies and setting up mechanisms and regulatory frameworks that best suits the sector;
- Work in partnership with the Diaspora Communities, their host countries, Somaliland Ambassadors and Representatives abroad, public and private institutions and all other stakeholders of concern in order serve and engage the Diaspora in the homeland development, tackle poverty and promote social justice.
- Enhance the role of Diaspora as active representatives in promoting and protecting the interests of Somaliland in abroad;
- Draw up essential regulatory frameworks and mechanisms for better practices in engaging, coordinating and integrating the Diaspora in the development;
- Enhance and maximize Diaspora contribution to accelerated development programs of Somaliland, harnessing and combining all efforts in an adequate planning strategy which fits in the policy of matching interests of active partners in the area;
- Establish reliable information sources and databank in relation to Diaspora awareness and information;
- Enhance unity, cooperation and networking of Somaliland Diaspora communities and discourage political and tribal divisions that can negatively affect interests of Somaliland;
- Conduct lobbying and create better cooperation and understanding among Diaspora in general, hosting countries and Somaliland on economic, cultural and social development sectors and other issues of common interest by firstly creating satisfactory and suitable environment locally;
- Plan placement and distribution of the Diaspora volunteers willing to volunteer to serve their country during their holidays, register and provide them guidance and consultancy.